Hall of fame jockey Victor Espinoza rode his first Thoroughbred workout last Saturday at Santa Anita
Victor Espinoza’s next workout on a Thoroughbred is on hold pending further medical evaluation, his agent, Brian Beach, said Friday morning at Santa Anita.
The 46-year-old Hall of Fame jockey and Triple Crown winner worked his first horse last Saturday after an absence of more than five months recovering from serious injuries in a training mishap at Del Mar last July.
“He’s gotten drastically different opinions from two different doctors,” Beach said, “so rather than choosing the one we want, we’ll seek another opinion and hopefully get that done this week and go from there.
“But for right now, he won’t work any horses tomorrow, which could be a moot point since the weather might not allow works anyway if it rains tonight. We’re in a bit of holding pattern, but there was no race or horse we had been targeting.
“There was a disagreement among doctors as to whether he could ride in races or just exercise horses, two different interpretations of a scan that was taken. You can’t ignore the opinion you don’t want to believe and go with the opinion you want to believe.
“You’ve got to do the right thing and get an independent, third evaluation, and go from there, but Victor feels great. He’s back doing more work with his physical therapist at Del Mar and he came out of his breeze last Saturday in good shape.
“He has no pain and he’s fitter than he thought he was, all positive signs.
“We just have to make sure he’s doing the right thing at the right time.”
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.