How did you fare in John Randall’s notoriously tricky Christmas quiz? Check out the answers below. Congratulations to our winners, who have each won free bets courtesy of Paddy Power.
1st prize £350
WINNER Andrew Baker, from TBC
2nd prize £100
Stewart Nash, from TBC
3rd prize £50
Gordon Armitstead, from TBC
1. Which great champion was belittled as a sire by Donald Trump at a rally in 2015?
2. Which of these was a filly who came third in the Oaks?
C Kannabis (1944)
3. Which Classic-winning trainer was one of a family of 13 siblings?
D Clive Brittain
4. Which Cheltenham Festival-winning trainer had been a wartime secret agent in occupied France?
A John Goldsmith
5. Which of the Queen’s advisers had a father-in-law who won an Olympic gold medal?
A Sir Michael Oswald (son-in-law of Lord Burghley)
6. Who said of his fellow prime minister Sir Anthony Eden: “He was trained to win the Derby in 1938; unfortunately he was not let out of the starting stalls until 1955”.
C Harold Macmillan
7. What did pioneer woman trainer Florence Nagle have in common with Chris Amoo of chart-toppers The Real Thing?
C Won Best in Show at Crufts
8. What do Mark Johnston, John Oxx and Dermot Weld have in common?
B They are qualified vets
9. Which jump jockey rode Mark Johnston’s very first runner as a trainer in 1987?
D Jeff Barlow (Rosie Oh, unplaced at Wetherby 7/2/1987)
10. Which jockey rode Aidan O’Brien’s first winner as a trainer?
A Pat Gilson (Wandering Thoughts, Tralee 1993)
11. According to Wikipedia, which tycoon and racehorse owner earned the nickname “the seagull” as he would “fly in and s**t all over his subordinates before flying out”?
D Markus Jooste
12. Years before Wikipedia was created, Wiki Wiki Wheels was a prolific winner for which owner?
A Peter Savill
13. Who is this Group 1-winning owner of 2018?
D Bjorn Nielsen (Stradivarius)
14. Which famous singer owned an Irish Classic winner?
A Count John McCormack (Beaudelaire, 1931 Irish St Leger)
15. Which jockey rode Enable and Cracksman to their maiden victories?
B Robert Havlin
16. Which Derby was won by Cracksman?
B Great Northern Derby (New Zealand 1961)
17. Which of these jockeys once beat Arkle in a steeplechase?
B Ron Vibert (on Happy Spring, runner-up in 1963 Hennessy Gold Cup)
18. Which horse won the Cheltenham Gold Cup the last time it was run in April?
C Midnight Court (1978)
19. Which horse won the Derby the last time it was run in May?
C Sir Ivor (1968)
20. “Maroon, white cross of Lorraine, sleeves and cap” were the colours carried by which great champion?
21. Which great champion was named after a district of south London?
22. Le Vizir was the first horse to beat which outstanding champion?
B Mieuxce (Le Tremblay 1935)
23. Name the only horse to win three British Classics but not the St Leger.
A Crucifix (1840 2,000 Guineas, 1,000 Guineas, Oaks)
24. Which champion filly was named after a character in Chaucer?
D Dorigen (by Franklin; won 1933 Lincoln)
25. This Salvador Dali portrait is of which Classic-winning owner?
C Lady Beaverbrook (Equestrian Fantasy – Portrait of Lady Dunn)
26. Which Classic winner was placed in the Champion Hurdle?
A Hill Song (1932 Irish St Leger)
27. Name the only horse to run in the Grand National twice and win it both times.
D Reynoldstown (1935 and 1936)
28. Name the only horse to be disqualified twice at the Cheltenham Festival.
B Chinrullah (after finishing first in the Champion Chase and fifth in the Gold Cup, 1980)
29. Which of these Cheltenham Festival handicaps has never been won twice by the same horse?
C County Hurdle
30. Which of these races has never been won by a mare?
C King George VI Chase
31. On which winner did Lester Piggott put up 14lb overweight?
D It’s The Finish (Newcastle 1970)
32. Which of these trainers has won a Breeders’ Cup race?
D Jo Hughes (London Bridge, 2013 Marathon)
33. Name the only British jockey to be champion in Hong Kong.
B Philip Robinson (1988-89, 1989-90)
34. Which of Sir Michael Stoute’s horses won three times at Royal Ascot?
C Cover Up (2001 Ascot Stakes, 2002 & 2003 Queen Alexandra Stakes)
35. Which horse won at Royal Ascot despite finishing only fourth?
A Brook (1974 Queen Anne Stakes)
36. Which of these handicaps had a renewal in which the first two finishers were disqualified for being ineligible?
D Midlands Grand National (1977)
37. Who is this Champion Hurdle-winning trainer?
B Colm Murphy (Brave Inca)
38. Which Grand National winner had won at Royal Ascot?
B Voluptuary (1881 Biennial Stakes)
39. Which Melbourne Cup winner had won at Royal Ascot?
A Backwood (1922 Ascot Derby)
40. Which of these creatures in George Orwell’s Animal Farm is a horse?
41. Which of these has not been a Group winner for Jamie Spencer?
42. On which racecourse are the Pat Doyle Memorial Hurdle and the Carmel Fay Memorial Chase run?
43. Which jockey rode Luca Cumani’s only winner over jumps in Britain?
B John Francome (Shelahnu, Kempton 1977)
44. Which of Luca Cumani’s horses won a Group 1 race in three different seasons?
C Old Country (1982, ’83, ’85)
45. In which novel does Tim’s Chance win the Grand National?
D National Velvet (on the disqualification of The Piebald)
46. Which of these is a prominent scientist and television presenter?
C Robert Winston
47. In which Ronald Colman film does Laguna win the Derby?
A The Devil To Pay! (1930)
48. Which great artist painted dozens of pictures of horse-racing scenes?
49. What is the first name of the French jockey who won the US Triple Crown on Seattle Slew?
A Jean (Cruguet)
50. Name the statesman who wrote: “No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle”.
D Sir Winston Churchill
Download the knowledge of more than 200 experts with our free mobile app – it lets you study the form, get the latest tips and place a bet on the go. Get the app here